Sunday, January 30, 2011

Appreciating Your Own Voice

Recently, I lost my voice due to laryngitis and have not been able to verbally communicate with anyone unless absolutely necessary for the past three days. I've grown accustomed to always having notecards or little notebooks at my side with a pen, so that I don't have to talk too much. I keep a page saved that says "Sorry! I have laryngitis and am not supposed to talk too much :( " at the register. It's been interesting at work, because for the most part people just look at me (and my oh-so-special made-up sign language) and smile kindly. They make sure to keep their eyes up at me the whole transaction, so that they can read my facial expressions and I'm so appreciative of that. Then there are people who don't bother to look up, so unless I absolutely have to talk in order to get a customer through the checkout, they take my silence as being rude and unfriendly, and leave in a bad mood. I wasn't even aware until now, but did you know that it's possible to shop for items, check out at the counter and then leave without ever making eye contact with the cashier? If those people had looked up, they would see me waving goodbye or mouthing the word 'sorry'. One customer was especially rude to me, so I had to talk a little and that made him even angrier. When he left, the customer behind him had a look on his face. I thought that he was upset with me too, but instead he said "You didn't deserve to be treated like that. You know that, right? Thank you for working today, even though you aren't well." If he had kept that thought to himself, I probably would've felt awful and useless and sad for the rest of the day. I loved him so much for talking and then felt bad right away, because I've witnessed situations like the one I had just been in, and made the decision to be quiet so that I wouldn't make the person feel even worse. Because the latter customer decided to say just a few simple words to me, I was in a good mood all day. Don't ever doubt the thought's going on in your head, if they involve worry, concern, love, or goodwill for your fellow man.

No comments:

Post a Comment