Monday, January 24, 2011

Who Forgets and Who Holds On?

There are things from my childhood that I'll always remember, like when my Mom was waiting for me at the door in our yellow kitchen and I was deciding whether or not to take another slice of a pear that was on the counter. I remember that I was the height of the counter and the pear was green and yellow. When I told her that story, she said she didn't remember that ever happening. There are some things that I know I'll always remember (for whatever reason) while others will forget, because they didn't see the memory from my angle. I'm sure that if I were to approach the actual person that part of the "Hannah" character is based off of (from MEAN) and told her I didn't appreciate her trying to yank off my nails in junior high, she would sincerely believe that I made up the story. The memory for me is so vivid that I actually remember what color nail polish I had on (lavender Sally Hanson Maximum Growth). I can only hope that "Hannah" has changed for the better, and has matured since then. If she's a respectable person now, why would I ever burden her with a memory that would make her feel bad about herself? In fact, she probably didn't think anything of it at the time. It wasn't like she planned on pulling my nails back that day, it just happened, and that was it. Whenever my siblings and I would fight, I'd always run to my parents hoping they'd punish my brother and sister. I'd tattle so much that my parents would eventually say "just let it go." The same thing with my teachers. I'd tell them that my bullies were teasing me, and for awhile the teachers would assist. But they eventually turned to the "let it go" attitude because I had something to report to them every day. My parents would say "if something's wrong, tell a teacher." Then all of a sudden, that wasn't an option anymore. At the time, I thought that it meant that I would be bullied for the rest of junior high, and no one would care. But now I'm thinking that maybe it was because the adult figures from my childhood thought that bullying is something that kids grow out of? That they don't really mean it? Bullies are bullies and then they grow up? So, they get to move on and become "better people"...As for me? After being cast in MEAN, it would appear that I never got to leave Junior High. I'm still there.

No comments:

Post a Comment