Saturday, January 15, 2011

Confronting the Past

In relating my stories from grade school and junior high to YPC, I thought that I was able to because I'm over the teasing, the name calling, etc. I'd casually say "Oh yeah, and this one boy came with a nickname for me, because of my birthmark on my chin. He called me droolface 4th through 8th grade. It caught on quickly, and soon he wasn't the only one." No big deal. I'm over it. I've "moved on." Well, in the opening number for MEAN there's a soloist who sings about that same story, which ends with a bystander shouting out "Droolface" over her shoulder. For the shows that I'm in the ensemble, I just happen to be standing inches away from that isolated moment. The first time we ran it, I cringed, covered my ears with my hands at DROOLFACE. The room changed. Droolface. Why should I care? I'll never see this boy again. It's not real anymore. Droolface. I don't care. This was what, 13 years ago? 15? It's not my name anymore. I'm overly sensitive and always want attention. That's what this post is about. I'm making this about me when it actually applies (unfortunately) to many people who have been bullied for a birthmark or a scar, at some point in their life. I need to grow up and be able to hold onto this memory without caring about what people think of me when they look at me. I'm better than this. People say they can't even see it anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment