Thursday, January 27, 2011

Making Progress? - Thoughts from Shauna, a board member

I was watching Oprah today, and the show was about all ages of people and their "coming out" stories.  Oprah was checking in with where these people were today in their lives with their parents (or others who didn’t accept them being gay).  I didn't see the show in its entirety, but the parts that I did see moved me to tears because it helped me realize that we are making progress with civil rights for gay people.  Maybe an even more powerful thought is that we are making progress in the area of removing our visions for people's  lives (including our children's) and allowing everyone to live into their full potential without judgment.

The best part of the show for me was the follow up from a prince who lives in India.  His mother stopped speaking to him after he told her that he was gay.  The last time that he was on Oprah (a few years ago), it was illegal to commit homosexual acts in India.  These acts were punishable by up to 10 years in prison.  Due to Oprah's power and ability to spotlight important issues around the world, combined with the prince being true to himself and not compromising who he is as a human being, the prince updated that today homosexual acts are no longer illegal in India.  This was an awe filled moment for me because it helped me remember that we are getting better every day as a worldwide family unit and allowing each other to live as we are truly intended to live.

This Oprah episode made me think about the upcoming “Mean” performance at YPC.  "Mean" has the courage to deal with tough emotional issues that need attention in our community.  I applaud what the actors are personally giving and experiencing as this production comes to its final days of rehearsal.  I know that this show will changes lives, and I am grateful to be in a place to see it happen.  One day at a time, one country at a time, one person at a time, we will remove behaviors of persecution and ill-will and live in a space of understanding and equality for everyone.  We are making progress every minute…can you feel it?


No comments:

Post a Comment